Oct 18, 2008

Entertainment - India;Rekha on AB

Shubha Shetty-Saha

Rekha was deeply concerned about Amitabh Bachchan’s health when he was hospitalised recently, writes SHUBHA SHETTY-SAHA

All his fans are heaving a sigh of relief now that Amitabh Bachchan is back home, after being hospitalised for a brief period at the Lilavati hospital.

Rekha, his one time colleague and friend, was one of the millions who were concerned about the superstar’s wellbeing.

The reticent Rekha says, “I have always had complete faith in the Almighty. But there are times when I question His actions. I do that very rarely, because I am an absolute believer in destiny. I feel that whatever God gives you, happiness or sadness, there is a motive behind it.

When Mr Bachchan was admitted to the hospital yet again, it was one of those few times that I asked God why? Here was a man who has been working so hard and selflessly for so many years. He is loved by people worldwide. He has entertained and thus done service to humanity. So why punish such a person? You don’t really understand His motives at times.”

But Rekha says she is grateful that this time the illness was not as grave as earlier. “Thank God that it is not as bad as it was in 1982 (Bachchan suffered a life threatening injury during the shoot of Coolie). That phase was really scary.”

Rekha says she has been getting loads of offers to work with Bachchan but she refused them as she didn’t find the scripts convincing.

She says, “A lot of people have asked me why I haven’t worked with him after Silsila. They also asked me why I was not a part of films like Cheeni Kum or Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. But those were not the kind of scripts that would have suited me. Tabu was just perfect for Cheeni Kum. If I’ve to work with him again the script has to suit us in keeping with the present times.” When told that she and Bachchan shared amazing onscreen chemistry she simply says, “I believe so too.”

No comments: