Nov 24, 2008

Lifestyle - Flash funky nail shades for impact, says British nail technician

New Delhi, Nov 24 (IANS) A crazy hairdo and wacky attire are striking, but what about your nails? Colour them in funky shades too to make a statement, says British nail technician Jacqui Jefford.

Jefford says this is the right time to wear crazy nails with loads of attitude and confidence.

'I have seen people carrying crazy hair styles and dresses with confidence, but most of them play it safe with nail colours. This is the right time to add funk to your nails and make a statement,' Jefford told IANS.

Jefford is also a mentor and consultant to Scratch Nails - a nail salon in the plush South Extension-II shopping centre. She was in the capital to teach nail professionals about international trends.

Jefford, 50, has been in this business for the past 25 years and believes that people still do not take the business of nail care seriously.

'It is very unfortunate that people ignore the only part of the body that goes into the mouth. We pay attention to our attire, hair and skin but how many of us regularly take care of hands?' Jefford questioned.

'The first thing we do when meeting people is shake hands, and if our hands are not manicured what kind of impression will we give to the other person? She elaborates: 'Most of the time we look at our hands and not face, so it is important to make them look good to feel good.'

Jefford's love for nail art started way back in 1974 when she was just 16. 'I still remember how I became beautiful from ugly in just 10 minutes,' she explained.

'I used to bite my nails a lot and they were in a pathetic shape. One day my friend got nail extensions and her hands looked pretty. I thought I should go for it too and when I did it cost me 20 pounds!

'It was way too expensive and then I started reading on the subject and finally I took it as a profession to offer cheap yet quality service to people,' she added.

Jefford has done nail art for Hollywood celebrities like Gwen Stefani, Kate Moss, Shania Twain and many more. According to her, today's generation is paying much attention to their looks.

'Thanks to exposure to the media, youngsters are aping Hollywood stars and paying attention to their looks, and that includes nails too. They want to look perfect and we help them reach this perfection,' she maintained.

She said in Europe people are 'driven by fashion' and the ratio of working women is very high. 'So for them it is important to look good all the time,' she added.

Suggesting that women should go for manicures at least once in a month, Jefford stated: 'Make it a point to go for regular manicures as it gets the dirt out of your cuticles and keeps them soft.'

Jefford is also an author and has written books like 'The Nail Encyclopedia', 'Nail Artistry' and 'The Art of Nails'.

'I have never planned anything in life - everything just happened. I was an author by mistake and I do not mind that either,' she chuckled.

2 comments:

Kendy said...

To my extend Gel Nails is the new trend in manicure and lots off teens are using gel nails instead of acrylic nails. There are different kindsof gel nails as UV Gel nail, UV Neon Gel nail, UV One Phase Nail Gel, UV Pearly Nail Gel and many.

Gel-Nails said...

The content you have provided is pretty interesting and useful and I will surely take note of the point you have made in the blog.

Today while I was browsing the Internet and looking out for something sporty and trendy to decorate my nails with, I came across this site Gel-nails and found so many interesting nail products for decorating my nails. The best part is that this site has so much variety and also the prices are very reasonable for the quantity offered.

I thought this information might be useful for anyone looking for genuine nail decoration stuff and may not know where to buy them from.