Jan 13, 2009

India - Blind girl makes it to IIM

It took all her will power to convert her dream into reality. With a lot of grit, 22-year-old Jyoti Sharda belled the CAT and got a call from Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow.

Her's is an extraordinary story of courage because Sharda is visually impaired. She suffers from 80 per cent disability and cannot see a board or a computer screen.

She uses a magnifier to read from textbooks and wrote her CAT exam with the help of a scribe. "I used to practise with my uncle," said Sharda, who has been living independently in Delhi for the last eight years.

"During CAT, I got 40 extra minutes to complete my paper. But I could not finish my paper for Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi University because I had no extra time," she said.

Sharda completed Class X from Chittore in Rajasthan. "I came to Delhi and joined Ramjas School in R K Puram.

Then I did Bachelors in Business Studies from Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies," she said. Her parents, living in Rajasthan, were initially reluctant to send her alone to Delhi.

"But I persisted because I had to be independent and also do something in life. Because I could not see the board, my teachers at Career Launcher gave me individual classes and made special notes for me," said Sharda.

"My parents were speechless when I told them that I had qualified. Now I want to give my 100 per cent to the group discussion and the interview," she said.

3 comments:

Abhishek Joshi said...

Impossible Is Nothing. What else is there to say?

Unknown said...

this is incredible.
it should inspire others.
do you have contact number of the person?

Dinesh said...

This is an inspiring story which acts as an exemplar for outstanding achievements.