Oct 16, 2008

Sport - Chess;Anand Vs Kramnik;Second Games ends in a draw

Rakesh Rao

BONN: Viswanathan Anand may have missed a possible chance of gaining a point in the second game on Wednesday but surely made a point in his ongoing World chess championship match against Vladimir Kramnik here.

Playing white, Anand surprised Kramnik with the choice of opening, gradually held a slight advantage before agreeing to the Russian’s draw-offer in 32 moves.

In fact, the first game, too, was drawn after 32 moves on Tuesday.

After a day of rest, the players meet for the third game with Kramnik playing with white pieces.

Anand entered the match holding the psychological advantage of having never lost with white against Kramnik. On this day, the World champion opted to move the queen-pawn as his first move, only for the fourth time in 59 encounters with white against the Russian challenger.

“It is not all that surprising. You prepare for many opening but then, I did not prepare for this opening this morning. So I had to take my time to remember the continuation that I had thought of in this position,” explained Kramnik on why he took more time in the opening phase than Anand.

On his part, Anand sounded unsure of his winning chances in this complicated battle in Nizmo Indian game when he spoke to the mediaperons.

“I think, at some point in the opening, the game was very sharp but I am not very sure if white was better. I think, he (Kramnik) underestimated white’s position at some stage. Afterwards, with precise play, I guess I should have advantage but I am not sure. My pieces on queen’s side were not very well developed. I don’t know if I actually misplayed it or not,” said Anand and agreed that there was a brief phase when he thought things were going his way but soon understood that the advantage was not enough.

When Kramnik offered a draw, Anand only had five minutes on his clock. He thought for a while and eventually with two minutes remaining, decided to agree to Kramnik’s proposal.

Later, Kramnik was quick to explain, “It was a strange position and complicated for both players, not just for black. It was a position where I did not know whether to play for equality or go for advantage.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's the greatest chess game of this year! The chess board will be fight arena, and chess pieces will move along like warriors! You can predict here, who the winner will be - http://www.votetheday.com/top-events-42/world-chess-championship---318