BEIJING: Up to 8,00,000 cars were taken off Beijing’s roads on Monday as part of a new traffic restriction. Traffic jams, however, were still reported in a few downtown areas, said local authorities.
Under the new restriction, 70 per cent of government vehicles, as well as all corporate and private cars, would take turns off the roads one out of the five weekdays as of last Saturday, according to the Beijing Municipal Committee of Communications. Cars whose number plates end with 1 or 6 will be taken off roads on Monday, while those ending with 2 or 7 will be banned on Tuesday, 3 or 8 on Wednesday, 4 or 9 on Thursday and 5 or 0 on Friday. The ban does not apply on weekends.
Guo Delin, a businessman, experienced smooth traffic on Monday. But he was still unhappy with the restriction. “I’m travelling in most of the working hours, so driving is part of my life. I’m afraid the ban will affect my business,” he said.
Last month, more than 4,00,000 Beijingers joined an online discussion about whether to keep the ban. Nearly half of them supported a permanent restriction, while others, mostly car-owners, opposed. — Xinhua
6 months ago