Dec 5, 2008

Entertainment - Oprah drops hint on Syndie plans

Andrew Krukowski

Oprah Winfrey, asked about her plans for 2011 after the contract for her current syndicated show ends, told “Access Hollywood” Wednesday night that she’s “not done” with her show.

"I'm not done," she told “Access” at the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater's 50th anniversary gala in New York. "I'm a very multi-dimensional woman. I can do a show, I can have OWN [Oprah Winfrey Network], I can have a magazine, I can do radio."

Questions have swirled regarding the post-2011 future of “The Oprah Winfrey Show” in syndication after Discovery CEO David Zaslav said in early November that “the expectation is that after that, her show will go off [in 2011] of ABC in syndication and she will come to OWN.” Discovery and Ms. Winfrey are co-owners of OWN.

Mrs. Winfrey’s production company, Harpo Productions, today reiterated the comment it made after Mr. Zaslav’s comments.

“While David Zaslav's comments are true that Oprah's current contract to produce 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' will expire in 2011, she has not made a final decision as to whether she will continue her show in syndication beyond that,” said Lisa Halliday, chief spokesperson for Harpo, said.

Mrs. Winfrey made similar statements regarding the future of her show during a Tuesday night fundraiser in New York.

“I'm a girl that keeps her word. I have a contract till 2011, so right now that's what I have until someone writes me another one....I'm going to fulfill my contractual obligations and fulfill them happily.” the Chicago Sun-Times quoted Ms. Winfrey as saying.

Both CBS Television Distribution and OWN declined comment.

AccessHollywood.com and TVWeek.com provide content for one another through a content syndication agreement.