Feb 6, 2009

Sport - Cricket;Dhoni wants to finish series 5-0

The first Indian skipper to lead the team to nine successive one-day wins, four of them against Sri Lanka, Mahendra Singh Dhoni is hungry for more and wants to blank the island nation 5-0 in the ongoing cricket series.
"I am happy for the ninth win (on the trot) but if we can add one more to it, it would be great," Dhoni said after India's 67-run win over Sri Lanka in the fourth match in Colombo on Thursday night.
Dhoni promoted himself to number three in the match and came out with a magnificent 94-run knock.
"I had not batted at number three for a long time. We had a long batting line up with (Irfan) Pathan coming at number eight. So I thought I should bat at the top order," he said.
"There was a ball change in the 34th over and we had to take the second power-play as well. So I thought one of the batsmen had to quickly get his hundred and capitalise in the power-play," he added.
Man-of-the-match Gautam Gambhir, who scored a blistering 150, said it was just the right platform for him to score a big hundred.
"I was always hitting the bowl well in the series and it was a perfect platform for me as we were already 3-0 up in the series and with Sehwag and Dhoni I just needed to play within myself and didn't have to do anything else," he said.
The left-hander also gave credit to Dhoni and coach Gary Kirsten for his performance.

No comments: