Oct 2, 2008

Sport - Q&A;Valentino Rossi

Valentino Rossi still wants to win more titles before he thinks about a career switch. He speaks to Dhananjay Khadilkar, about his record run and the possibility of joining Formula One

You went without a title for two years.
This is normal when you are very dominant and then things go wrong. However my team believed in me so this was the important thing.’

How does it feel to have overcome Giacomo Agostini’s record of 68 wins after your victory at Indianapolis?
Fantastic, but also strange because he’s such a hero. In my career I don’t worry about records but for sure this was very special.”

Mick Doohan considers you to be the best rider in GP history. Your comments…
This is a great thing to hear because Mick is a great rider, I don’t know that it’s true...it’s difficult to compare riders from different eras and to me Mike ‘the bike’ Hailwood will always be number one. But it’s very nice to hear!

Do you still want to keep winning Moto GP titles?
Yes I do, which is why I have signed with Yamaha for another two years. I want to end my career with them.

Having won almost everything in motorcycle racing, what is the next challenge for you? Are you switching over to Superbikes?
Definitely not, I want to end my two-wheeled career in Moto GP, the top championship, and hopefully with Yamaha.

It has been reported that go-karts were your first love. Most go-kart racers end up in Formula One. Are you keen to join Formula One?
No I already had that chance in 2006, I had a good offer but I decided to stay because I wasn’t finished with bikes. After bikes now... I don’t know, maybe rally.”

Do you think anyone will be able to break your record soon?
I hope mine will stay for at least another 30 years!

Which rider did you respect and fear the most?
I have had a lot of great ones. Biaggi, Gibernau, Capirossi and now Hayden, Pedrosa and Stoner. They’re all different.

You have also been one of the most colourful riders in motorcycling history…
I like to have fun! This is why I race, because i enjoy it, and i think the fans like to see me enjoy it and have fun. when I don’t enjoy anymore, I stop!”

No comments: