Feb 3, 2009

Sport - Cricket;I could have continued for at least a year: Ganguly

Kolkata, Feb 2 (IANS) Nearly four months after announcing his retirement from international cricket, former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly Monday said he could have continued in both forms of the game for at least one more year.

'I think I am still capable of playing top level cricket - both one-dayers and Tests. I am 200 percent certain. I was in my peak form during my last years. Had I continued playing, I could have continued for at least one year,' Ganguly said during an interactive session at a book release here.

Ganguly said he was now looking forward to the second edition of the Indian Premier League to be played in April-May. 'But turning out in the IPL can't be compared to playing for India,' he admitted.

The left-hander rated West Indies master Brian Lara as the greatest left-hander he had seen and played against.

Ganguly said during his salad days he regarded Englishman David Gower as the best left-hander of all time.

'But among the left-handers I have seen and played against, I think Lara is the best,' Ganguly said.

He described a six he hit off New Zealand all-rounder Chris Cairns in a Gwalior ODI as his best shot.

'Cairns bowled a yorker and I dispatched it for a six. Initially, I thought I had holed out, but then saw the ball soar over the ropes. I could not believe my eyes. I could never play that shot again in my career,' he said.

No comments: